Тёмный

Raspberry Pi Anemometer: Measuring Wind Speed! 

ExplainingComputers
Подписаться 1 млн
Просмотров 108 тыс.
50% 1

Опубликовано:

28 сен 2024

Поделиться:

Ссылка:

Скачать:

Готовим ссылку...

Добавить в:

Мой плейлист
Посмотреть позже
Комментарии : 599   
@JeffGeerling
@JeffGeerling 3 года назад
LOVE that you built the actual thing by hand using household parts; truly a project in the Pi Day spirit!
@ExplainingComputers
@ExplainingComputers 3 года назад
Hi Jeff -- thanks for this! :) Love your channel.
@dylandowdy3687
@dylandowdy3687 3 года назад
@@ExplainingComputers I enjoy watching both Jeff and explaining pc channels . You guys are awesome!
@bc-kelley
@bc-kelley 3 года назад
Love seeing creators in the comments of other channels! Jeff always seems like a stand up guy.
@mikehensley78
@mikehensley78 3 года назад
Happy pi day everyone
@TheTechieScientist
@TheTechieScientist 3 года назад
@@ExplainingComputers wow , two of the best Pi creators in one comment , what more could a pi liver ask??
@torki7189
@torki7189 3 года назад
Finally a nerd in RU-vid, who can made some thing useful and applicable rather than just showing off.. Bravo 👏👏👏
@ExplainingComputers
Thanks! 😃
@BeefIngot
@BeefIngot 3 года назад
3d printing has really changed my brain. Now, even if something else is faster, 3d printing is such a hammer in my tool box that it just feels too easy to always go that route. Everything is a nail to 3d printing. In this case, it even looks like he probably made it faster than designing then printing would have taken him, yet I still found myself thinking "oou, I could 3d print that!"
@NewAgeDIY
@NewAgeDIY 3 года назад
Great weekend project Chris. I build something similar to your design a few years ago but I used reed switch and magnet for my sensor. I’m now working with my grandkids on different projects, they love your videos. Take care & we will see you next weekend.
@storage000
@storage000 3 года назад
the latest 3d printers got nothing on Stanley the Knife ! love the video Mr. Barnatt Thank you
@lesliedeana5142
@lesliedeana5142 3 года назад
Wishing everyone a Happy PI Day!!!
@traviseddy6447
@traviseddy6447 3 года назад
Hi friend
@tpobrienjr
@tpobrienjr 3 года назад
Most excellent! Stanley was happy to be of service.
@etienne6641
@etienne6641 3 года назад
So inspiring! Can't wait to see the rain meter now 🌧️
@samaitcheson7057
@samaitcheson7057 3 года назад
Brilliant Chris! Once again, a great example of real world applied computing. Fascinated to see what you are going to develop for your greenhouse 😁
@KowboyUSA
@KowboyUSA 3 года назад
With online retailers serving the world we don't usually build things with our own hands so much like we once did. So cool project 👍
@danlscan
@danlscan Год назад
Thanks. Reminds me of building a Heath Kit with my friend such a long time ago.
@DJWilliamShaw
@DJWilliamShaw 3 года назад
My current pi project is an automated greenhouse with web interface. Cant wait to see what you do
@Duewester
@Duewester 3 года назад
Mr Barnatt, I get just a tad smarter every Sunday because of you.
@MrBobWareham
@MrBobWareham 3 года назад
Very nice wind speed sensor that must be the fastest pen in the universe and thank you for explaining the code it's always nice to have code explained for people like me that find it hard to understand code I would have thought cutting the balls in half was the hardest part?
@ExplainingComputers
The ball cutting was easier than I imagined it would be -- achieved with nail scissors.
@alliejr
@alliejr 3 года назад
Excellent!!! But the animated anemometer is spinning backwards 3:40 🤣
@ExplainingComputers
I know, I've just realized. I am kicking myself. I spent so long on this video, and such a basic mistake! But this is the problem with a weekly schedule -- everything is done so quickly . . .
@peterbrown6224
@peterbrown6224 3 года назад
@AstroCat We gave you Imperial measurements, and this is the thanks we get ;-)
@alliejr
@alliejr 3 года назад
@@ExplainingComputers Brilliant project and video. It’s all good and all part of the charm! 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
@johnweller5491
@johnweller5491 3 года назад
@AstroCat Not from choice! It was forced on us by the government. :-)
@3ATGL
@3ATGL 3 года назад
Or maybe it is experiencing negative wind ? ;^)
@tristanlouthrobins
@tristanlouthrobins 2 года назад
Oh Chris, these videos are absolutely brilliant. I can't wait to start fiddling about with my Pi (holidays pending..) So much inspiration radiating from your good work here. *seven thumbs up*
@fredhair
@fredhair 3 года назад
Picked a perfect time for it in the UK.. not sure where you are but here on the east coast (Great Yarmouth) the wind has been howling for days now.
@ahmad-murery
@ahmad-murery 3 года назад
Nice useful project, it brings back my memories to an old project on MSX1 using a photoresistor connected to the joystick port Thanks
@RupertBruce
@RupertBruce 3 года назад
Wow - I was just searching for 'anemometer, raspberry pi' in google and you posted this 7 hrs ago! 😎 My project is AI controlled drones so wind speed along the circuit is a handy feature!
@bayanicustodio3998
@bayanicustodio3998 3 года назад
👍🙂 to further the anemometer build, the addition of direction indication, use of an array of reflectance sensor against a disc with BCD encoding for the direction... thanks for the great information. Much easier than a synchro transmitter. Hmmmmm....
@Hector-nx4js
@Hector-nx4js 3 года назад
Am i the only one who couldn't care less about the content of the video, but nevertheless finds himself watching due to how relaxing Christopher's presentation skills are?
@zackaboy1236
@zackaboy1236 3 года назад
I love the new animations Chris!
@ExplainingComputers
Thanks.
@soulhunter0
@soulhunter0 3 года назад
I'm really enjoying these building projects and learning how to make use of something i've been curious about for a long time but could never realy get myself to a point where i could start. Thanks for teaching us!
@ExplainingComputers
Great to hear!
@deechvogt1589
@deechvogt1589 3 года назад
Thanks for the wonderful Pi Day video. Keep up the around the house Pi projects. Very practical and yet very educational application of Pi technology. Cheers and stay well!
@RichSad45
@RichSad45 3 года назад
A great video. Here in the US we call that "Macgyver"ing. Macgyver is a fictional special agent who can build things with just common parts. Nice job.
@ExplainingComputers
I remember MacGyver -- the series was big in the UK. :)
@traviseddy6447
@traviseddy6447 3 года назад
Hi friend
@br1900s
@br1900s 3 года назад
Great video again. Cant wait to see your technologically advanced greenhouse.
@slimplynth
@slimplynth 3 года назад
Looking forward to your next update on the greenhouse controller, it reminded me that someone on Radio 4 (GQT) said they did a thesis on watering plants because his dad always said that it's better to leave your watering hose inside the greenhouse to heat the water inside.. apparently the warm water promotes plant growth to the point where it equates to adding 6-8 weeks to the growing season 😁 sorry, I don't know why I remember these things or why I find them interesting..
@SingletonGuy
@SingletonGuy 3 года назад
Inspiring project! Eager to try it out on my Raspberry Pi. Hello from Mauritius.
@thedroneguy2024
@thedroneguy2024 3 года назад
Hey Chris. Love the video, love that you are getting into Weather Data on the raspberry Pi!.
@burghmuir
@burghmuir 3 года назад
Great video. I like it when something useful is created from odds and ends. I would like to see this project running on a Pico. Low power and could be battery operated. Great idea. Something to build with this kids.
@karllaun2427
@karllaun2427 3 года назад
Very instructional. I need to get up to speed on Pi and Python. Doing mostly Arduino for the past years. Automation in plant growing has always been an interest. Looking forward to more.
@sphericalmobius
@sphericalmobius 3 года назад
Cheers to Explaining Computers for another great pi tutorial. Excellent work in design. Anemometers can be quite expensive.
@Colin_Ames
@Colin_Ames 3 года назад
Excellent. I would never have considered using a Biro as a spindle, such a great idea. Keep up the good work Chris.
@R.-.
@R.-. 3 года назад
Calculating the real time wind speed every rotation and plotting a live graph would make this more fun to play with :-)
@ExplainingComputers
Yes, a definite possibility.
@donaldmarks8707
@donaldmarks8707 3 года назад
Very enjoyable Chris. Look forward to the greenhouse projects. :-)
@BobPhleming
@BobPhleming 3 года назад
Hi Chris, That's a nice practical application of things that can be done with the Pi, particularly the use of the phone cable. I'm not sure what ideas you have for the greenhouse, or how far you want to go with it, but I have a couple of ideas that you may be interested in. One application I have been thinking about for our allotment greenhouse is to make a system whereby you can use a temperature sensor to open and close a window with a motor to regulate the temperature in the greenhouse, ideal for us tomato growers! Another idea I have would be to use a moisture sensor in the soil to control an automatic watering system. Both these ideas would need a certain amount of hardware and obviously code for them to run efficiently and be reliable, however if this was achieved it would be a great system to have in place for those times when I can't visit the allotment! Cheers for the video!
@ExplainingComputers
Thanks for this. Your second idea -- moisture sensor and a watering system -- are what I will be doing first. Before that I'll be posting a video on running a Pi on batteries (that can power the Pi and also the servo valve). Stay tuned!
@spikekent
@spikekent 3 года назад
Outstanding Chris. I love Pi projects.
@ZookeeperJohnG
@ZookeeperJohnG 2 года назад
Thanks so much for sharing your code, with the clues in your video, I finally have the code on my 8266 board working like yours.
@leonidasapostolidis4898
@leonidasapostolidis4898 3 года назад
a really interesting video from our favourite YouYube channel
@ExplainingComputers
:)
@cdl0
@cdl0 3 года назад
This is an excellent project. One "good practice" coding tip is to calculate pi and save the number for subsequent use, rather than use a constant. The formula is, pi = 4.0*arctan(1.0). The advantage of this method is that the value is given to the same numerical accuracy as is available on the computer. Moreover, this is also "good practice" in the sense that it never does harm to be consistent in coding, but may sometimes do some good. Obviously, this is not important in the present application; however, it is needed for high-precision calculations.
@ExplainingComputers
As you say, good practice if precision is required. :)
@gravestoner2488
@gravestoner2488 3 года назад
Great video, unique and interesting. Plus I have some of these ir sensors i salvaged from old printers that use them for distance measuring. Now I understand them more. Thank you :D Not gonna lie during your schematic animation of the turbine spinning, it really bothered me that it was spinning backwards lmao.
@ExplainingComputers
The bacwards spinning now bothers me too! Don't know how I missed that. Making 52 of these a year means production is always done in haste.
@S-I-T
@S-I-T 3 года назад
Yay favourite time of the week again
@ExplainingComputers
Greetings Stephen. :)
@HKey_Root
@HKey_Root 3 года назад
Fabuloso. Chris meets Valerie Singleton. Now where did I put those ping-pong balls? I love these projects. Thank you.
@luisdiassilva
@luisdiassilva 3 года назад
Wonderfull. The way you program in python makes it look so easy.Waitinf for the next projects.
@elmirelmir842
@elmirelmir842 3 года назад
Love your projects! Keep up the good work!
@ExplainingComputers
Thank you! Will do!
@alerey4363
@alerey4363 3 года назад
Excellent class about putting to practical use geometric and physics concepts altogether with electronics and programming! This is so much needed for kids nowadays, they need to be inspired to get interested in learning the important stuff, double thumbs up!
@ExplainingComputers
Many thanks!
@andrewmcclaren8780
@andrewmcclaren8780 3 года назад
Excellent project - especially for lockdown!
@Ollital
@Ollital 3 года назад
Multiply by Pi. Video released on Pi day. Exactly my sense of humor
@ExplainingComputers
:)
@xserieslive7219
@xserieslive7219 3 года назад
very useful and nice project. btw, love your videos and I am new to his channel and I am happy I found your Channel. thanks.
@ExplainingComputers
Welcome!
@jajwarehouse1
@jajwarehouse1 3 года назад
These types of projects are fun. I see a possible mqtt to Node-Red server coming when you start the greenhouse project.
@RupertBruce
@RupertBruce 3 года назад
In US, craft stores sell 'craft sticks' (wooden lollipop sticks with notches cut in them) which would be the perfect fit for the axles.
@sortofsmarter
@sortofsmarter 3 года назад
This is so cool, I need something like this for the marina I work at.. thanks..
@tipprich
@tipprich 3 года назад
This project is awesome and it just might find it's way on my roof soon. I would be very interested in a video that would explain how to put the collected weather data on a webpage (Pi hosted or otherwise). Perhaps the addition of a webcam to record sky condition and cloud coverage would be interesting as well.
@ExplainingComputers
I plan a further video in which I show how to get Python code to write data to a Google Sheet (spreadsheet0, which can then be embedded (data and/or graph) on a web page -- and accessed from anywhere.
@trevorford8332
@trevorford8332 3 года назад
This video reminds me of Maplins a bit used to love that shop.
@ExplainingComputers
Ah yes, I used to like a trip to Maplins . . .
@augustoluna5577
@augustoluna5577 3 года назад
I would Love to see your green house pi project ♡
@ExplainingComputers
Video here: ru-vid.com/video/%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BE-_NTW0npN4N0.html
@allthegearnoidea6752
@allthegearnoidea6752 Год назад
Thanks for the video. Just started with pi pico and micropyphon. My first project is going to be a weather station. I am planning on powering it from a super capacitor charged via a solar panel. I think the pico is a better option because of it very low power sleep mode. I will be using Hall effect transistors for wind speed pulsing as LEDs are power hungry. My best regards Chris
@ExplainingComputers
@ExplainingComputers Год назад
You may find useful my Pico Weather Station video: ru-vid.com/video/%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BE-3q807OdvtH0.html Python and MicroPython are not quite the same! :)
@allthegearnoidea6752
@allthegearnoidea6752 Год назад
@@ExplainingComputers Have had a look very good. Thanks best regards Chris
@MrYour101
@MrYour101 3 года назад
Wonderful as always!
@ExplainingComputers
Thanks!
@BharatMohanty
@BharatMohanty 3 года назад
Yes a pi project...btw glad to inform you sir that I have completed my pi rover... now waiting for a power bank.. then I will assemble it..
@ExplainingComputers
Great to hear that your Pi project is progressing! :)
@tav9755
@tav9755 3 года назад
Excellent stuff. Thanks for sharing. You may want to build a Nodered dashboard. It is preinstalled on the pi and easypeasy to configure. Also some weather services such as the DWD offer nodes where you can compare and finetune your DIY measurements. Keep on the excellent work. Highly appreciated.
@dkphilbin
@dkphilbin 3 года назад
Excellent! I really appreciate practical examples using the raspberry pi. Would you consider adding a rain gauge? I am looking forward to your next installment of upgrading an old pc as well.
@ExplainingComputers
Thanks for this. :) I will indeed do a rain measurement system at some point. And the PC upgrade series will continue! :)
@An.Individual
@An.Individual 3 года назад
3:37 that is a magic anemometer as it spins contrary to the laws of aerodynamics
@ludwigvanbeethoven61
@ludwigvanbeethoven61 3 года назад
Finally I see u explain Python Code. This is like Muhammad Ali watching sparring
@ExplainingComputers
I always explain any code used in my videos! :)
@ludwigvanbeethoven61
@@ExplainingComputers ok, then I have to specify. It's the first video of you I've ever watched where any code was shown and therefore of course explained 😉
@JohnRaschedian
@JohnRaschedian 3 года назад
Thank you for the invaluable video sir!
@ExplainingComputers
Most welcome!
@thatsme1268
@thatsme1268 2 года назад
Great project - Just wondering best way to see the "live" wind speed variable on a different Pi that is connected to same home network?
@pulesjet
@pulesjet 3 года назад
Good Stuff Sir. I can use this idea to calculate wind speeds from my 500W Wind turbine under construction. Employing the same sensor Idea on the Blade hub . Originally I was going to use a HALL sensor. Tachometer .
@stefosters
@stefosters 3 года назад
Absolutely love these videos. Thank you, Chris 👍
@johntoe6127
@johntoe6127 3 года назад
You can calibrate an anemometer by having someone drive you in a car while you hold your DIY device out the window. Compare speedo readings with anem. readings at several speeds: 5, 10, 15, 20...etc. Take readings both against and with the wind and use average. Using this method, you can develop calibration factors.
@jmgarcia4747
@jmgarcia4747 3 года назад
Happy Pi Day Everyone!
@firepowerg
@firepowerg 3 года назад
You should use your Raspberry Pi in your greenhouse to help grow some raspberries. Which you then value into a pie. Circle of life...
@TickledFunnyBone
@TickledFunnyBone 3 года назад
Thank you! I have been thinking of doing this on my suv!
@lorderectus1849
@lorderectus1849 3 года назад
He’s all green around the edges!!!
@McTroyd
@McTroyd 3 года назад
Love the craftiness of this. Need to hit the hobby shop and pick up some of that plastic! Does the RPi have some equivalent to an Arduino Interrupt Service Routine? I'm sure you'll never get fast enough wind to spin too fast for the Pi (without exploding the anemometer), but it might be a way to simplify the code counting the pulses. 👍
@aloysiussnailchaser272
@aloysiussnailchaser272 3 года назад
Very interesting. It’s a very windy day here in Catalunya so I might need something more heavy duty than ping pong balls. By the way, at 3:38 you say 'in theory when the wind blows it will spin round'. Perhaps not in that direction, though - it seems that Andy Anemometer is a bit of a rebel.
@petermitchell2448
@petermitchell2448 3 года назад
I was looking for the Blue Peter Badge lol, brilliant project though.
@paulj2383
@paulj2383 3 года назад
Thank you for a wonderfully clear explanation. I am also learning practice aspects of Python programming from your just make it work Python programs.
@Ruben_Mdln
@Ruben_Mdln 3 года назад
fun project to do with kids! thanks a lot
@PseudoNo
@PseudoNo 3 года назад
A great build! Would be interesting to add some "weather vane" to record wind direction and to graph a wind rose. By the way isn't Pi an overkill for this project?
@ExplainingComputers
Yes, I intend to add wind direction at some point. As noted as the start of the video, this is a Raspberry Pi project -- a lot of people have them lying around -- so I used a Pi. Other, less powerful hardware (such as a Pi Pico!) could be used.
@DavidSiebert
@DavidSiebert 3 года назад
If you can find an old mouse that used a ball you could take the optical interrupter sensor and a while with gaps to do the same thing in a smaller package.. Yo could time ti to an IRQ and use the time between pulses to give you the wind speed. I would move away from the pi to an esp-32 and use that as your sensor platform and send the data to the pi over wifi Maybe even use a solar panel to power it. A better axel and bearing would also really help.
@ExplainingComputers
Great idea to use an old mouse. :)
@AMDRADEONRUBY
@AMDRADEONRUBY 3 года назад
As always I'm here nice video again thanks to make quality stuff. Miguel
@makkam7575
@makkam7575 3 года назад
Amazing project. If you need a 3d printed system design with bearing and all kinds of cool stuff all the community including myself is ready to help. Also just FYI in python3, unlike python2 the result or the division of a float by an integer is a float so you don't have to cast in the code.
@MrHitman1966
@MrHitman1966 3 года назад
Really good stuff - ingenious
@fram1111
@fram1111 3 года назад
Another great video
@ludwigvanbeethoven61
You maybe could use your data u generate with the weather station to properly water your plants in advance, measure the acid levels of your soil, regulate your humidity and UV exposure by window opening mechanisms of your greenhouse.
@willgilliam9053
@willgilliam9053 3 года назад
Im curious how your anemometer data will compare to the met office readings. Hope you revisit this with a tear down after its been deployed for some time.
@peterarnt
@peterarnt 3 года назад
Christopher, I like your presentation today. It was a great demonstration. I have a question about reading the sensor: The Linux kernel that you're running on the Raspberry Pi is not a Real-Time OS. When reading the GPIO pins connected to the Anemometer, the OS may introduce some jitter into the captured data. Do you think this would significantly impact the quality of the wind speed data? Also,, will you be able to calibrate your home-built anemometer (or the algorithm) with any kind of external reference? Thanks, -P
@ExplainingComputers
Thanks for this. The timing from the OS clock will be accurate enough, and not the most significant aspect of inaccuracy here! :) Calibration against an external reference would certainly be possible (by changing the anemometer factor to that the results on the Pi match a more accurate device).
@HeliosYTC
@HeliosYTC Год назад
Great project sir, may i know the exact materials used for creating the anemometer and there size measurements as well.
@sid_gm1949
@sid_gm1949 3 года назад
Finally there is a gadget to measure the strength of the breath at: 5:40
@sid_gm1949
@sid_gm1949 3 года назад
Do you think we can make it a game ?
@ExplainingComputers
Ah, a game based on this -- a great idea . . . Like blowing hard enough to turn on a series of LEDs . . .
@haajee1
@haajee1 3 года назад
It's so funny to see that you know it''s just a rotating ball pen. But very clever and nice!
@Beevreeter
@Beevreeter 3 года назад
Excellent project but the wobble in the biro is disturbing... your cutout hole should be fractionally smaller, with a cylindrical matching groove ground in the biro - you could do this easily by chucking the biro in an electric drill and rounding a section with a small file..
@ExplainingComputers
Yes, not the best part of my build! :)
@Beevreeter
@Beevreeter 3 года назад
@@ExplainingComputers Excellent result nevertheless !
@mCKENIC
@mCKENIC 3 года назад
This was great! Thank you for sharing!
@avejst
@avejst 3 года назад
Great video as always I would place the white rotation dot, vertical instead, so dust would not influance the output of the IR sender/reciver Thanks for sharing your experience :-)
@kempshott
@kempshott 3 года назад
A rain gauge would be quite easy to make using the same optical sensor. My weather station's one is a little see-saw with a thimble-sized cup one end and a counterbalance weight the other. As the cup fills with rain it tips that end down and empties itself, so flips back. You just need to count the tips over a fixed time and convert to mm rain / hour.
@Jsak666
@Jsak666 3 года назад
This is a great video and I have made my own wind speed sensor from your inspiring video, however I am struggling to do the gusts side of things and having the counter reset at midnight or a pre determined time each day or after every 3, 6, 12 or 24 hours lets say. Are you able to do a video on this?
@r1273m
@r1273m 3 года назад
Next week we add a dynamo and rechargeable battery to make it self powered. Will probably need bigger cups though!!
@gower1973
@gower1973 3 года назад
Give the man a Blue Peter badge 😂
@joegee2815
@joegee2815 3 года назад
Very interesting. I always wanted to make a smart home based on a Linux connected device. All the bits are available and cheap, just have to put them together...
@slimplynth
@slimplynth 3 года назад
Tidy, nice build sir, guessing some people will 3D print the case so you could use fidget spinner bearings to reduce friction.. would you calibrate and derive the "A factor" using the met office wind speed.. theres also a newish app called 'Windy' that you could use..
@themadscotsman2159
@themadscotsman2159 3 года назад
Great video. It would be nice to see an all in one weather station for Raspberry Pi or Arduino with an LCD display for at a glance weather data.
@57dent
@57dent 3 года назад
Next, hall sensors to detect wind direction and something to measure rainfall, or even more difficult, snowfall!
@halfey
@halfey 3 года назад
For a second I thought this was wind-powered Pi.
@ExplainingComputers
Now that is a great challenge! :)
Далее
The ULTIMATE Raspberry Pi 5 NAS
32:14
Просмотров 2,1 млн
Raspberry Pi Pico W: Wireless Weather Station
17:13
Просмотров 290 тыс.
КАК БОМЖУ ЗАРАБОТАТЬ НА ТАЧКУ
1:36:32
Raspberry Pi Plant Watering (& Time Lapse)
23:41
Просмотров 335 тыс.
When Did Raspberry Pi become the villain?
21:54
Просмотров 1,6 млн
I built a MONSTER AI Pi with 8 Neural Processors!
8:29
Raspberry Pi Pico 2 | Everything You Need To Know
7:04
The Petabyte Pi Project
22:27
Просмотров 2,2 млн
DIY 3D Printed IoT Weather Station Using an ESP32
9:24
Raspberry Pi Weather Station
21:42
Просмотров 294 тыс.
Raspberry Pi Time Lapse Photography